Pages

Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Interrupting the Silence: Satisfying Our Hunger

Interrupting the Silence


Satisfying Our Hunger

by Michael K. Marsh
Forward Day by Day, John 28, Hunger, Feeding the 5000, Satisfaction
John 6:26. "Jesus answered them, 'Very truly, I tell you, you are looking for me,
not because you saw signs, but because you ate your fill of the loaves.'”
The crowds that follow Jesus all throughout John’s stories are back again today, hungry (again) and looking for the next loaf. They want Jesus’ bread but not his life. I recognize this in them, because I know it to be true about myself. Sometimes, all I want is to eat my fill.
My hungry heart is often revealed by what I pray for, the choices I make, and the worries that occupy my heart. I want to eat the bread of happiness, well-being, and security. I want to taste the bread of approval, success, and accomplishment. I seek the bread that fixes problems and makes everything better for me and those I love. Too often, I want to fill my stomach so I don’t have to face my life.

When I just want something from Jesus I sell myself short. I settle for and accept less than all he wants to give me. The loaves are just the appetizer on the banquet of life. Let's not mistake them for the main course.
*Originally written for and published by Forward Day by Day.

No comments: