Pages

Search This Blog

Friday, December 16, 2016

Bishop Barron's Daily Gospel Reflection Friday December 16, 2016

My thoughts on today's Gospel reading...
Friday, December 16, 2016
3rd Week in Advent, Year I
John 5:33-36
Friends, in today’s Gospel Jesus says that his Father’s works testify to his identity. Jesus’ words are the Father’s words and his deeds are the Father’s deeds. His story is the Father’s story.

Nature speaks of God, the philosophers say true things about God, the arts can reflect him, lives of the saints can indicate him—but Jesus is the icon.

We sense in this passage, if I can put it this way, the humility of the Logos: “The words that I speak to you I do not speak on my own. The Father who dwells in me is doing his works.” Neither the words nor the deeds of Jesus are “his own.” They are received from the Father. The Trinitarian theological tradition respects this when it speaks of the Son as the interior word of the Father and as having received everything from the Father.

No comments: