Pages

Search This Blog

Monday, August 17, 2026

[Salon] Kushner and Netanyahu Agree Israel Will Keep Attacking and Assassinating in Gaza - Guest Post

[Salon] Kushner and Netanyahu Agree Israel Will Keep Attacking and Assassinating in Gaza - https://qudsnen.com/post?id=68196&slug=kushner-and-netanyahu-agree-israel-will-keep-attacking-and-assassinating-in-gaza Kushner and Netanyahu Agree Israel Will Keep Attacking and Assassinating in Gaza Occupied Jerusalem (QNN)- US President Donald Trump's envoy Jared Kushner met Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Occupied Jerusalem on Monday, a day after Kushner met the Hamas leadership in Egypt. The meeting, which lasted more than four hours and included former British prime minister Tony Blair and the Board of Peace's director-general Nickolay Mladenov, produced a set of understandings that, according to Israeli reporting, preserve Israel's ability to keep killing in Gaza. According to an Israeli political source cited by Israeli media, Netanyahu and Kushner agreed that the occupation army would retain freedom of action in Gaza and that Israel's policy of assassinations would continue. The understanding effectively sanctions the continuation of the near-daily attacks and targeted killings that Israel has carried out throughout the ceasefire, including its recent assassination of the head of Gaza's police, formalizing at the highest level of the US-Israeli relationship that the killing will not stop. The two also agreed that no reconstruction of the Gaza Strip would be carried out without the complete dismantling of Hamas's weapons, and that the first step in that process would be Hamas handing over its arms. The condition ties the rebuilding of an enclave Israel has reduced to rubble, where more than two million people live amid famine and ruin, to a political demand Israel knows will not be met quickly, ensuring that reconstruction remains frozen while the population endures. The meeting also produced an agreement to implement health measures in Gaza to prevent the spread of epidemics. The understandings emerged from a broader framework the US and the Board of Peace are trying to advance, built around the stalled 15-point roadmap Netanyahu had previously rejected. According to Israeli reporting, the plan would transfer civilian authority in Gaza to a technocratic committee and establish pilot zones 'cleared of Hamas' in the Rafah area and the north of the Strip, modeled on the approach used in Lebanon, where displaced residents would be housed in temporary camps and provided services. An international stabilization force, drawn initially from Ugandan and Kosovan troops and later Moroccan units, would be deployed within weeks to police those zones. Crucially, the framework includes a renewal of the ceasefire on prior terms that allow the Israeli occupation forces to fire on what it calls emerging threats and to operate along the Yellow Line, preserving the very license to kill that has defined Israel's conduct since the truce began. Kushner pressed Netanyahu not to obstruct the ceasefire plan, according to an informed Israeli source cited by CNN. Netanyahu, however, told Kushner that advancing the plan was problematic because of Israel's coming elections, an admission that the prime minister is weighing the fate of the agreement against his own political survival months before a vote his coalition is trailing in. The outcomes of the Netanyahu meeting stand in sharp contradiction to what Kushner conveyed to the Hamas leadership a day earlier. In Egypt, Hamas reaffirmed its acceptance of the roadmap for the second phase of Trump's plan, seeking a permanent ceasefire, a full Israeli withdrawal, urgent relief, and reconstruction, and told the mediators it had implemented the first phase in full while Israel escalated its attacks and openly rejected the roadmap. Yet the understandings reached with Netanyahu the next day guarantee the opposite: no full withdrawal, no unconditional reconstruction, and an explicit agreement that Israel will keep operating freely and assassinating in Gaza. Where Hamas was told the plan aims at a permanent ceasefire and an Israeli pullout, Netanyahu was assured Israel could keep its forces in place and continue the killing.

No comments: