Pages

Search This Blog

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Do you need help from on high?

Do you need help from on high?

Do You Know the Three Angels Who Can Help Us in Our Needs?
One of our sisters shared this story with me: My mother, Catherine, had a great devotion to Saint Michael the Archangel. This led her to beg his intercession so that her two daughters could attend the Catholic school in a nearby parish, since our own parish did not have one. One day at Mass a request was made for volunteers to help care for the altar linens. My mother thought, “I know how to do that,” but promptly dismissed the thought from her mind. After Mass, on the way to the car, she heard a voice call her, “Mrs. M., aren’t you going to see the sacristan about the altar linens?” Startled, she looked up and saw a tall young man in front of her. She later told me, “He had on a suit of the most beautiful material I’ve ever seen, almost iridescent.” She did not get a good look at his face because she was “so taken” by the material of his beautiful suit. “Oh, of course,” she replied. “The sacristan is coming now. Go ahead,” the young man prompted.
A bit dazed, she murmured, “Thank you,” and headed over to sign up. When she turned around, he was gone. My mother later searched for him at church but never saw him again. She was convinced that Saint Michael answered her prayer. She remembered distinctly that he had called her by name, which she had thought odd since we had only been living there for a short time and did not yet know many people.
My mother joined the Ladies Altar Society, and I was among the last of the first graders admitted to the parish school. My mother was convinced that God sent Saint Michael to answer her prayer. In gratitude, she cared for the altar linens for many years after that.
This story about Saint Michael shows how the angels can help us in our daily lives....


No comments: