Pages

Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 20, 2024

America the Unwell - TomDispatch.com

America the Unwell - TomDispatch.com America the Unwell The Corporate Greed Threatening Our Stability By Andrea Mazzarino One thing our government doesn’t like doing is challenging the greed of health insurance companies. I can speak with some authority about holes in the ever-fraying safety net of our healthcare system, including Tricare, the military health insurance plan used by most troops, veterans, and their families, other employer-sponsored health insurance, state-sponsored care like Medicare and Medicaid, and individually purchased plans. After all, I’m the spouse of a veteran who uses military healthcare and a clinical social worker. I serve military families that rely on a variety of health insurance plans to pay for their care and believe me, it's only getting harder. To take one example: at least in my state, Maryland, Tricare, if it pays at all, compensates clinicians like me far less for mental healthcare than Medicaid (government medical assistance for low-income Americans). It also misleads military patients by referring them to me even after Tricare has acknowledged that I'm unable to take more of them. Other healthcare plans serving Americans go months without reimbursing me for services they authorized.

No comments: