Pages

Search This Blog

Thursday, July 27, 2023

That Other War - TomDispatch.com

That Other War - TomDispatch.com Cox, The War You're Not Reading About July 27, 2023 Let me just express my embarrassment that, while I certainly noticed when war broke out in Sudan in April, I simply forgot about it thereafter. You might wonder how I could do that, but it's all too true. I quite literally let it drop out of my brain. How, I'm not sure, since I do read fairly widely in the news. Yet, in these last couple of months, little or nothing caught my eye about Sudan to remind me that it had, in fact, become an almost unimaginable horror. And the mainstream media places that I normally look to, even as they highlighted the ongoing catastrophe in Ukraine, were essentially no help, not when it came to obvious headline stories anyway. It was as if the ongoing nightmare in Sudan didn't exist in a moment when (yes!) thousands were dying there and (catch this!) at least 3.1 million human beings were being displaced -- a truly polite word for such a nightmare -- thanks to an internal conflict between two Sudanese generals and their forces. So, all I can say is, thank heavens for TomDispatch regulars Priti Gulati and Stan Cox, some of whose relatives were, horrifyingly enough, swept up in that still ongoing nightmare. Let them explain what I, in my ignorance, couldn't and remind us that, while this planet of ours is now officially broiling in a climate made in hell (or rather in the hellish worlds of the big fossil-fuel companies), we humans still have a remarkable ability to ignore so much that truly should matter on this planet of ours. Tom

No comments: