Pages

Search This Blog

Thursday, May 11, 2017

The Hazards of Military Worship

The Hazards of Military Worship
Everyone Loves the Troops and Their Generals, But History Indicates That Military Advice Isn’t All It’s Cracked Up to Be
By Danny Sjursen
More, more, more.
I was guilty of it myself.  Commanding a small cavalry troop of about 85 soldiers in southwest Kandahar Province back in 2011, I certainly wanted and requested more: more troopers, more Special Forces advisers, more Afghan police, more air support, more supplies, more money, more... everything.  Like so many others in Afghanistan back then, I wanted whatever resources would protect the guys in my unit and fend off the insurgent threat. No one, of course, asked me if the U.S. military should even be there, nor did I presume to raise the question. I was, after all, just a captain dug into a tough fight in a dangerous district.
Click here to read more of this dispatch.http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/176279/tomgram%3A_danny_sjursen%2C_america%27s_wars_and_the_%22more%22_strategy/#more

No comments: