Pages

Search This Blog

Thursday, November 12, 2015

What I saw at a Syrian refugee camp

A few months ago, I visited the Za'atari Refugee Camp in Jordan, the largest Syrian refugee camp and home to about 80,000 people. 
It is hard to describe with words what I saw. The camp was full of women and young children who fled Syria in fear for their lives. While I was there, I saw children as young as six years old digging trenches in the sand for raw sewage. I saw young boys and girls being kept home from school to do hard labor because the meager wage is the only way their families could afford to eat. And I heard stories of young girls sold into marriage so the rest of the family could afford to live in this perpetual state of despair. I saw desperation and want emanate from every corner of the camp.
This isn't just a humanitarian crisis, it has real national security implications. If we don't help feed and shelter these refugees, extremists like ISIS will. For years, I've called upon the United States to increase humanitarian aid to improve the conditions in refugee camps to help other nations bear the burden of displaced persons, and take in more refugees here at home. Finally, there is momentum growing to step up and meet this challenge. 
Over the next two weeks, the U.S. Senate will consider a bipartisan request for $1 billion in emergency funding to provide humanitarian relief to Syrian refugees, and it is CRITICAL that you make your voice heard on this issue.
I know my colleagues take calls from constituents seriously, so make the call and tell Senator Ed Markey you support emergency appropriations to provide humanitarian relief to Syrian refugees, and to please co-sponsor Senate Bill 2145, the Middle East Refugee Emergency Supplemental Appropriations Act.
Here's where to call:
Senator Ed Markey
Phone: (202) 224-2742

No comments: