Pages

Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Canned Peaches, Heavy Syrup By Carl Prine

Canned Peaches, Heavy Syrup
By Carl Prine Sunday, September 4th, 2011

I confess that I listen to a great deal of National Public Radio.
Unlike boring public television, there’s been a something of a radio renaissance at NPR.  While the rest of the nation’s airwaves are increasingly homogenized into Clear Channel clones or shrill political agitprop ‚  NPR and satellite radio seem the only sane or interesting oases on the dial (or transponder box).
But just because I like This American Life doesn’t mean that I’m going to give NPR a pass.  Rachel Martin’s zippy follow on the retirement of Gen. David Petraeus – now bound for the CIA – traffics in the stale myths that were manufactured to ease his rise to four-star, legends  I doubt anyone seriously believes except Beltway reporters and think tank wonks of increasingly dubious credibility.
So let’s fisk her copy, shall we?

No comments: