Pages

Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Pulling the Lever for Doomsday Or How Donald Trump Changed Everything (2016-2020)

Pulling the Lever for Doomsday
Or How Donald Trump Changed Everything (2016-2020)
By John Feffer
I didn’t vote in the pivotal American election of 2016. Thirty-five years ago, in that unseasonably warm month of November, I was in Antarctica’s Allan Hills taking ice core samples with a hand augur. The pictures I have from that time show my team drilling deep into the blue ice, but what we were actually doing was digging a million years into the planetary past to gaze upon the panorama of climate change. The election was a bad soap opera playing out far beyond my field of vision.
At the time, I lived in Washington, D.C. So my vote, I told myself for years afterward, wouldn’t have made any difference in that overwhelmingly Democratic city. And of course, I never had a doubt about the result, nor did my family and friends, nor did the pollsters, the media, and the entertainment industry, nor the members of the political and economic elite of both major parties. Ours was a confidence composed in equal parts of ignorance and arrogance. We underestimated the legitimate anger and despair of large sections of the country -- as well as the other darker motivations much discussed in the years since.
“Remember, Rachel,” my ex-husband used to say, “Homo homini lupus: man is wolf to man.” I criticized him for slandering the poor wolf, but he was right. Beastliness has always lain just beneath the surface of our world.
Click here to read more of this dispatch.
http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/176218/tomgram%3A_john_feffer%2C_the_deconstruction_of_america%2C_2016-2050/#more

No comments: