Destiny Lost? Trump and a US Off Its Moorings
Does criticizing and downplaying other nations help Americans feel better about themselves?By Michael J. Brenner, July 24, 2016 | http://www.theglobalist.com/
- Americans are struggling with a growing gap between their exalted self-image and reality.
- We Americans lack the means to exercise decisive influence. Our response has been avoidance & evasion
- Fading prowess is one of the hardest things for humans to cope with, as an individual or a nation.
- We Americans prize our strength and competence; we dread decline and its intimations of extinction.
- China’s emergence poses a threat to the foundation myth of American superiority and exceptionalism.
- The US is collectively, emotionally approaching the psychological condition of dissociation.http://www.theglobalist.com/trump-united-states-power-politics-fear-russia-china-trade-foreign-policy/