- Unless otherwise noted, all basic information about Bahrain is taken from three sources:
The CIA World Factbook: Bahrain
BBC Country Profile: Bahrain
Al Jazeera Country Profile: Bahrain
- United Nations Security Council Resolution 278.
- Cable 09MANAMA91, Bahrain as Iran’s Fourteenth Province.
- F.H. Lawson. Countries at the Crossroads: Bahrain. A Freedom House Report.
- Pepe Escobar (February 18, 2011). All about Pearl roundabout. Asia Times.
- Husain Abdulla (October 15, 2008). Nabeel Rajab: Shia only holds 13% of the high official post in the country. Bahrain Center for Human Rights.
- Nicholas Kristof (February 22, 2011). Is this Apartheid in Bahrain. New York Times.
- Finnian Cunningham (February 18, 2011). Bahrain: The Social Roots of Revolt Against Another US Ally. Global Research.
- 2011 Index of Economic Freedom: Bahrain. The Heritage Foundation.
- Harvey, D. (2005). A brief history of neoliberalism. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Raymond Barrett (February 21, 2011). How a broken social contract sparked Bahrain protests. Christian Science Monitor.
- Zara Al Sitari (September, 2006). “Al Bander-Gate”: A political scandal in Bahrain. Bahrain Center for Human Rights.
- The Economist (April 3, 2008). Bahrain: Not so sunny for Shias.
- Bahrain Center for Human Rights (January 15, 2009). Bahrain: An oppressive campaign against Shia.
- Bahrain National Action Charter.
- Amnesty International (February 19, 2011). Appeal for action: Deaths and injuries in Bahrain.
- Human Rights Watch (February 28, 2011). Bahrain: Hold perpetrators of crackdown accountable.
- Janine Zacharia (February 19, 2011). Washington Post.
- Noam Chomsky (February 4, 2011). It’s not radical Islam that worries the US –it’s independence. Guardian.
- Zunes, S. (2003). Tinderbox: U.S. foreign policy and the roots of terrorism. Monroe, ME: Common Courage Press. Quote taken from page 11.
- Mark Mazzetti (September 24, 2006). Spy agencies say Iraq War worsens terrorism threat. New York Times.
- Noam Chomsky (1999) “Stability” Excerpted from Fateful triangle.
- Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Central Command, U.S. Fifth Fleet. http://www.cusnc.navy.mil/mission/mission.html”>Official Mission Statement.
- Anees al-Qudaihi (March 24, 2009) Saudi Arabia’s Shia press for rights. BBC.
- The Economist (March 3, 2011). The royal house is rattled to.
- The Guardian (March 6, 2011). Saudi Arabia bans public protest.
- Mina Kines (February 24, 2011). America’s hottest export: Weapons. Fortune.
- Kristen Chick (October 6, 2010). How arms deals are shaping the Mideast. Christian Science Monitor.
- Jeremy M. Sharp (June 15, 2010). U.S. Foreign Assistance to the Middle East: Historical Background, Recent Trends, and the FY2011 Request. Congressional Research Service.
- Adam Entous (February 23, 2011) U.S. reviews arms sales amid turmoil. Wall Street Journal.
- The Guardian (February 15, 2011). US embassy cables: Bahrain’s relations with Iran.
- Jason Ditz (February 18, 2011) The arsenal against democracy: US arms fuel Bahraini crackdown. Antiwar.com.
- Peter Beaumont & Robert Booth (February 17, 2011). Bahrain uses UK-supplied weapons in protest crackdown. Guardian.
- Jay Solomon (February 16, 2011). U.S. had year of warnings over Egypt. Wall Street Journal.
- Justin Webb (June 2, 2009). Obama interview: The transcript. BBC.
- Barak Ravid & Reuters (February 12, 2011). Netanyahu: Egypt-Israel peace is cornerstone of Mideast stability. Haaretz.
- Mark Landler & David E. Sanger (February 15, 2011). U.S. follows two paths on unrest in Iran and Bahrain. New York Times.
- Michael Slackman & Mark Landler (February 17, 2011). Bahrain turmoil poses fresh test for White House. New York Times.
- Adam Entous & Julian E. Barnes (March 5, 2011). U.S. wavers on ‘Regime Change’. Wall Street Journal.
- See Adam Entous & Julian E. Barnes for an excellent discussion of the administration’s thinking and diplomacy.
- Ben Rooney (March 7, 2011) Oil tops $106 a barrel. CNNMoney.
- Michael T. Klare (March 3, 2011). Oilquake in the Middle East: The Collapse of the Old Oil Order. TomDispatch.
- Thomas Fuller (March 6, 2011). Bahrain’s promised spending fails to quell dissent. New York Times.
- Simon Henderson (March 7, 2011). The battle for Bahrain. Washington Institute.
- Al Jazeera (March 7, 2011). Bahrain protests reach US embassy.
Thursday, March 10, 2011
Readings on Bahrain
Posted by Michele Kearney at 10:21 PM